Friday, October 27, 2006

introduction 6 part two

It is now 20:00
and to meet my target for a daily wordage of two thousand, I need one thousand more words.

During the gap in this pair of blogs, I really enjoyed cutting and cleaning the base of the great big white cabbage I bought forr 50 pence from Colin at Birmingham markets. It was so fresh that the mud on at the base of its outer leaves had not dried. I had chopped the bottom inch off with a big knife (made in Brazil and imported by LIDL) and left it soaking for the last three or so hours. Now I would dice all the "rubbish" leaves and add them to the cheap made in Cina electric pressure cooker from Argos, which is now on its second week of non-stop soups and stews and will be continued.

The first soup days of this autumn were of those half chicken pieces frozen down when I got a "tray" for £5 from Birmingham market. I went by the stall holder today and checked the kilo price which was £2, in other words twice what I pay for frozen 800 gram whole chuckies from LIDL, but stewed long and slowly really delicous with jucy white meat.
When I stocked up my fridge freezer form LIDL this time round I got some beef mince on offer and that kilogram is waht went in the soup pot after the chickens.
I constantly add onion and carrots and chopped up bits of cauliflower leaves which other wise get thrown away in England.
This is continuing the family tradition of soup making passed down to me by my mother. of using six bacic ingredients: a meat bone, a carrot and an onion, salt, peper and simmered in water for many hours in the stock pot. This is perfectly hygenic if kept covered and brought to the boil once a day.

20:20 and I have been AFK (Away From the Keyboard as we say in the chat rooms) to check the pressure cooker. The electronics have failed and it no longer has a working thermostat so I have to let it heat up at full heat and then turn it off when it reaches cooking pressure, which is with a boiling point for water of about 120 degrees centigrade and that speeds up cooking and kills all known germs and saves elecricity helping both my pocket and outr greene rpla
net.

Meanwhile on the radio there is a tape of a concert recorded last Saturday by the BBC Philharmonic orchestra. First was Brahms "Variations on a Theme of Haydn" which I know so well that even through the kitchen door whilst I was chopping up the above mentioend white cabbage, I could imagine the inaudable bits. i got to musing on themes and variations as a musical form.
The musical argument is much easier to understand than a symphony and could be likened to a science becauae the master composer reveals ideas hidden with in the original melody.
A quick google with this search string bbc friday concert 27 october found the programme for tonight:-

The Bridgewater Hall, Lower Mosley Street, Manchester

BRAHMS Variations on the St Antony Chorale

WALTON Variations on a Theme of Hindemith
RACHMANINOFF Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini
ELGAR Enigma Variations

Vassily Sinaisky conductor
Alexander Melnikov piano

I did not know the Walton, but the other three pices are guaranteed to put me in a good mood even when in my coffin (hint for my chikdren org anising my funeral) - only 591 words at 20:45 and I am hungry - so time for another break now 607 words -will I hold out and get this before eating?

When this blog is done and posted i will do the rounds of the boards
National Novel Writing Month Forum Index -> Reaching 50,000!

What is the absolute dirtiest trick you can think of for reaching 50K?

. . . . . . and similar stuff

on there my handle is:-
hughw36
Joined:
2004/10/22 8:41
From Birmingham, England; Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 16
Posted on: Yesterday 4:51:24

and just now there are :-
users online
(335 user(s) are browsing Forums)
Members: 396
Guests: 224 from the FAQ pages

Will participants meet each other?
This year's participants all over the world will get together to drink coffee, steal plots, and partake in the highly therapeutic variety of whining known only to amateur novelists. At this point, most cities and college towns in the English-speaking world boast a NaNoWriMo chapter, and there are new chapters popping up throughout Europe, Asia, and Africa as well. So odds are good there's a party or NaNo write-in near you. Check the Regional Lounge in the Forums for your area and see what's going down in your town.


How can I get in touch with writers in my area?
The Regional Lounges of the NaNoWriMo forums are the place to meet up with co-sufferers in your area. Another thing you can do is check out the Municipal Liaisons page of this site, starting October 1, 2006. If your area has a Municipal Liaison (a volunteer organizer who oversees local events and get-togethers), you can just send them an email and they'll tell you what's going on in your area. (882 words)

Kick-off party! (Sunday, 29/10/06, 3-5pm, O'Neills at the Arcadian)

back to my memories, ELGAR embodies something of the spirit of the Midlands


"In all, fourteen people and a dog are featured in the variations: ... allegedly portrays Sinclair's bulldog Dan paddling in the River Wye after falling in;" and I remember my mother telling me this story in the now restored Birmingham Town Hall at the very first orchestral concert I was ever taken to. GOOGLED of course

I can still visualize the scene in the photographic part of my memory, where we were sitting on the balcony a little left of centre about 3 or 4 rows back.
The Enigma Variations have a great bassoon part too, which years later I loved to play whenever I could, in the Guildhall School of Music first orchestra for example.

[DONE] 1014 words today and now I can eat 21:09

21:18 fin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home